- Playful and curious cat
- Friendly but independent cat
- Lean and elegant cat breed
- Requires grooming once a week
- Needs some out-door space
- Living Considerations: Good for multi-pet households, not hypoallergenic
- Size: Small to medium, with males weighing 3 to 4 kilograms and females weighing 2 to 3 kilograms
- Coat: Short, extremely soft and silky
- Temperament: Extremely affectionate, intelligent, fun-loving
- Grooming: Rarely/Never
- Shedding: Minimal
- Vocalisation: Generally quiet
Cornish Rex cats have a mischievous side to their character and a personality that can almost be described as forever young! Rexes are very intelligent, enjoy playing and love to learn new tricks. They will happily play fetching games for hours on end. While they are lively cats, they do have quieter times when they are happy to curl up in a lap. Cornish Rex cats can become cold quickly and will always seek out the warmest place to sleep.
History and Origins
Country of Origin: England (county of Cornwall)
The Cornish Rex cat breed owes its existence to a natural mutation that was discovered in a kitten born to a farm cat in Cornwall in 1950 - it had a curly coat It was mated back to its mother and two of the resulting litter were born with the curly coats that are now associated with the breed. The Devon Rex cat and Cornish Rex cat breed curly hair mutations are different. Crossing Devon Rex cats and Cornish Rex cats produces litters of straight-coated kittens!