- Highly active and inquisitive cat
- Friendly but independent cat
- Lean and elegant cat breed
- Requires grooming once a week
- Needs some out-door space
- Living Considerations: Prefers being the only pet, not hypoallergenic
- Size: Medium to large, with males weighing 4.5 to 7 kilograms and females weighing 3 to 5.5 kilograms
- Coat: Short to medium
- Temperament: Loyal, playful, moderately active
- Grooming: Monthly
- Shedding: Yes
- Vocalisation: Not overly talkative
The Egyptian Mau cat is a loving and playful cat breed. It is said to be are extremely clever and enjoys learning tricks and walking on a lead. Enjoying fuss and attention the breed makes them an ideal family cat. As they are active, Mau cats need some stimulus such as toys or companions to play with, especially if they are going to be left on their own for long.
History and Origins
Country of Origin: Egypt/Italy
Mau is the Egyptian word for cat and bears a striking resemblance to the statuesque spotted cats depicted in Ancient Egyptian art. The breed originates from a spotted cat found in Cairo that it said to have be taken to Rome in 1953 by a Russian princess. She bred a number of spotted cats in Italy and later moved to North America where breeders developed the modern Mau. The characteristic markings on its head are said to resemble the scarab beetle held sacred by Ancient Egyptians. Mau cats were only imported into the UK in 1998.