Emotional Benefits of Pet Ownership
- Boosts self-esteem
- Fights depression by providing comfort and companionship
- Contributes to psychological stability due to unconditional love and affection.
- Gives meaning and purpose to the owner’s life
- Provides entertainment and enjoyment
- Strengthens social networks
- 70% of families reported an increase in happiness and fun after adopting a pet
Source: APPMA (2006), Fuller (2006), Hynes (2005), Cain (1985)
Physical Benefits of Pet Ownership
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol
- Improves motor skills and coordination
- Increases life span by an average of two to five years.
- Decreases heart attack mortality by 3%
- in the US, this translates to 30,000 lives per year.
- Helps prevent heart disease
- Increases the levels of endorphins (or ‘feel good’ hormones)
- Strengthens immune system
Source: APPMA (2006), Fuller (2006), Hynes (2005), Friedman (1980)