PURINA: Your Pet, Our Passion

TO ALL PET LOVERS: We would like to assure you that we are considered an essential business. Purina is operating as normal, our supply chains are open and all efforts are being made to ensure we can keep the stores stocked with product as best as we can during these uncertain times. We ask everyone to shop as normally as possible and to be considerate to ensure everyone can get the food they need for their pets. Please be kind, patient and considerate to other shoppers and all store staff during what is an unsettling time for all. Enjoy the extra time at home with loved ones, your pets will no doubt love having you home. We are still here for you, if you need any assistance our Pet Care Advisors are still available on 0800 738 847 or AskPurina@nz.nestle.com.

Share

Nutrition

Grains are Beneficial for Dogs

Grains are Beneficial for Dogs

  • Because of our decades of nutrition research, we’ve seen evidence that nutritious grains like corn produce positive outcomes in dogs. Gram for gram, nutritious grains deliver more complete nutrition than the ingredients that brands typically use to substitute for grains, like potatoes.
  • When it comes to the nutrients dogs need, grains deliver. They provide antioxidants, energy-rich carbohydrate and fibre to promote digestion.
  • Grains are team players. Our long-term research has shown that grains like corn are key for helping dogs digest other nutrients in their foods.

Read about the new scientific study that supports our belief that grains are good for dogs.


2

Myths vs. Reality

Myths vs. Reality

So why have grains and corn become the object of debate when it comes to giving dogs the best nutrition possible?

Well, we think it’s due to a couple of myths.

Truth #1 – Dogs are not Carnivores

Many people believe dogs are carnivores. In fact, dogs are omnivores, and even wolves in the wild derive nutrition from both plant and animal sources.


Truth #2 - Dogs are not Allergic to Grain

Truth #2 - Dogs are not Allergic to Grain

Many People believe that dogs are allergic to grain. Here’s the truth.

Less than 1% of dogs are allergic to grain. This small percentage of dogs, once diagnosed by their veterinarian, will require a prescription grain-free product formulation. However, for the other 99% we believe the responsible thing to do is to provide them with the best formulations for their needs, which include grains.


4

The Power of Corn

The Power of Corn

A closer look at one of the grains we believe in.

 

Good for Your Dog

  • Corn provides protein, energy, and linoleic acid, which is an essential fatty acid for dogs
  • Gram for gram, corn has twice the level of antioxidants as an apple.