- Playful and curious cat
- Sociable and dependent cat
- Average build cat breed
- Requires grooming every day
- Great family cat
The Japanese Bobtail cat is friendly and intelligent. The breed is said to have a sweet nature and get on with most other animals and love human company. Some can learn tricks and do need to be kept amused and stimulated. It is a fairly talkative breed.
History and Origins
Country of Origin: Japan
The unique feature of the Japanese Bobtail cat is its tail. When the cat is relaxed and natural the tail looks like that of a rabbit, but it can be unfurled to a length of about 10 to 12 cm. In Japan, the breed can be traced back to the 8th century but it was not seen outside Japan until the 1960s when the shorthaired Japanese Bobtail cats were imported into America. The Japanese Bobtail cat has established a following in America and it is now a recognised breed and is widely shown in the USA. There are not many in the UK.
- Living Considerations: Good for multi-pet households, not hypoallergenic
- Size: Medium, with males weighing 3.5 to 5 kilograms and females weighing 3 to 4 kilograms
- Coat: Long (longhaired) and short (shorthaired)
- Temperament: Active, social, affectionate
- Grooming: Monthly
- Shedding: Yes
- Vocalisation: Talkative, with a pleasant voice like singing